Saturday, December 19, 2009
Today I made this dress for the 1 1/2 y.o. daughter of some friends. Originally I put a deep hem in, but when I measured it, I realised the dress would be floor length - not really practical for a toddler. So I turned up the hem a second time. I hope that next summer her mum can let down the second hem, revelaing the froggies on the bottom of the dress. The out of focus photo at the bottom is a length of uncut fabric, taken before I cut it up for the straps. The gingham is in the first deep hem.
Saturday, December 05, 2009
These were both quick and easy refashions. The green knit top was not flattering, and not worth sending to an op-shop. Instead, I put it on over a favourite singlet top and traced the neckline of the singlet top onto the front of the knit. Then it was simply a matter of cutting off the neck, evening up the new neckline, and doing a roll-hem by hand. All up it probably took about 1 – 1 ½ hours (I’m a slow stitcher).
The sleeve of the woven shirt tore and was irreparable. Not wanting to toss it out, and knowing its only a matter of time until a similar tear appears in the body, I took off the sleeves and the collar, stitched the collar edges together, and finished the arm holes with bias binding. This was one of the first projects to come from the new machine, and with the 30+ days we had in Nov, I was very glad of it.