Sunday, May 30, 2010
Choose ten items of clothing from your wardrobe and mix and match them for five days. You can have any combination of shoes, dresses, skirts, tops and jackets as long as it adds up to ten individual items.
You are also allowed five accessories which include jewellery, scarves, bag, belts etc.
Underwear and hosiery do not come under the ten items and five accessories!
So, does anyone else want to play along?
Saturday, May 29, 2010
I actually finished this some weeks ago and have worn it to work a few times. I am quite happy with it on the whole. That is to say, I am happy with my construction and finish. I still need to improve my zipper insertion, and the hemming of the flounce is a bit rough and ready in places. If make this skirt again, I will perhaps finish the flounce hem with my (recently acquired) overlocker, then turn press and stitch the hem.
Now on to fit – I think the fit was quite good when I finished it. Unfortunately, I have shrunk a little since I finished it, so it now seems a bit loose and at risk of slipping lower than is ideal. I fear that in another month or two it will be in the ‘too big’ pile, which is a nice problem to have.
I can’t be bothered taking it in, as it would require altering both the skirt and waist band facings, so unless anyone I know wants a green flounced skirt in approx. size 16, I might pack it up for charity along with a few other items I shrink out of.
Further on fit, I have determined that, while it fit the way it was designed to, I don’t particularly like skirts that sit so low on the hips. They cut across my tummy, which can be my least favourite feature, and make me feel rather self conscious about my appearance. I do like the idea of the flounced above-the-knee skirt, so if I were to make the garment again, I’d amend the pattern by keeping some or all of the length and bring the darts in so that the skirt sits higher and closer to my actual high hip line.
Sunday, May 23, 2010
First up, its the 'Make It Work!' t-shirt - Burda 12-2008-113. I chose this project specifically to try out my new overlocker. I used a white 'souffle jersey' remnant I bought 'in case it comes in useful' at Cleggs' remnant sale last year. I maanged to cut the pattern too big, made the seam allowances too small then lost weight, so it was far too big. A few tweaks and fudges later and it's ok - not a great fit but ok. The pattern calls for a self-fabric belt tie, but I didn't have enough left over (and can;t be bothered piecing bits together), so I will style it up with a belt from my collection.
Secondly is a pair of 3/4 length pj pants made from a flanalette-type fabric my sister gave me years ago (it has moved house with us at least once). They have been sitting in a bag, cut an dpinned, for months. I am particularly pleased, not only because its so much faster and easier to make them with the overlocker, but because I will be able to wear them tonight.
Thirdly I started on a pair of Vogue Very Easy stretch pants, but ran out of thread so I will have to either find or buy an additional spool before I can progress those.
Finally, I have decided to refashion an aqua top I got from a clothing swap party a few years ago, then promptly stained. Here is a before photo:
Tuesday, May 18, 2010
I will do my best to photo and post them this weekend. Now that winter is closing in its harder to get good photos on weekdays - no daylight!
Also on the agenda this weekend I think are a few UFOs and some mending. And perhaps a refashion/renovation.
We will see!