Tuesday, February 09, 2010

skirt + top = summer frock




I bought the skirt part of this dress on sale at a Salvos that was closing down. It was the first thing I bought expressly to re-fashion. It was a size 12, i.e. 2 sizes too small for me, but I liked the colour, shape and nifty embroidery detail at the hem. I started by removing the waistband, leaving me with 3 tiers. I was going to combine it with a men's business shirt I bought at the same time to make a shirt-dress, but I couldn't figure out how to do it nicely.
The top was #3 in a series of 4 tops made from a Very Easy Vogue pattern. It was a bit gapey at the front and I was not very happy with it. Although it didn't photo so well, I quite liked the narrow stripes, and thought I'd keep it as a vest to wear over long sleeved tops in the winter. When the shirt-dress was obviously not coming together right, I thought of this top instead.
A quick finish of the skirt's raw edges, another quick hem around the waist/hip line and voila a new summer dress!

2 comments:

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

Just stopped by to say "Hi." I saw your comment at Diaryofasewingfanatic and had to say I've signed on as a follower because our measurements are so close only I'm 5'8". Maybe we can inspire one another.

Belle said...

Hi KMQ, nice to 'meet' you. Thanks for dropping by and for your comments - you brought a smile to my face. I look forward to seeing what's coming off your machine, and being inspired.